Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Re-entry Permit

A re-entry permit allows permanent residents and conditional permanent residents to apply for admission to the U.S. without having to obtain a returning resident visa from an American Consulate.


Benefits of Re-entry Permit

You do not have to obtain a visa from an American Consulate for returning to the U.S. after traveling abroad
You can remain outside the U.S. for the validity of the re-entry permit

Requirements for Re-entry Permit

You should apply for a re-entry permit if you are:
A legal permanent resident and you wish to remain outside the US for more than one year
A legal permanent resident who cannot get a national passport from your country of nationality (some countries accept a re-entry permit in lieu of a passport)
Note: You do not need a re-entry permit if you are leaving the country for less than one year. However, if you leave the country for more than one year, you will break the period of continuous residence that is required to become a citizen even if you get a re-entry permit.

Working, Living And Studying In USA: 127 Different Visas

Insider's visa guide to working, investing or moving to U.S. for an extended period of time


Applying for a Re-entry Permit

You can obtain a re-entry permit by filing an Application for Travel Document (Form I-131) and accompanying documents with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
USCIS Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
A copy of your alien registration card
A copy of the biographic page and the page indicating initial admission as a permanent resident on your passport, or other evidence which indicates that you are a permanent resident
You must mail your re-entry permit application to the USCIS Service Center that has jurisdiction over your place of residence.
Note: A re-entry permit is valid for two years from the date of issue.

Difference between Advance Parole and Re-entry Permit

Advance parole document is issued to foreign nationals who are not yet lawful permanent residents, while the re-entry permit is issued to lawful permanent residents.
Advance parole is valid for one year, while the re-entry permit is valid for two years from the date of issue.

Services offered by VisaPro

Our experienced immigration attorneys will prepare and file all the required documents for your Re-entry Permit application. Our services include:
Complete review of all your personal circumstances
Confirmation that the Re-entry Permit is appropriate for you
Identification of important legal issues that may affect your Re-entry Permit
Checklist of documents that you need for your Re-entry Permit
Accurate preparation of your Re-entry Permit application
Re-entry Permit application to the proper government agencies
Careful co-ordination of all correspondence with government agencies
Expert advise on how to handle yourself at your Consular or USCIS interview, and what to expect
Online access to your case status
Unlimited personal communication with your own VisaPro immigration attorney
Fast, easy and secure processing through your personal online VisaPro account

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Immigration Lawyer Consultation: Get the Immigration Advice You Need
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.