Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

Green Card through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

Every year, thousands of foreign-born people become engaged or married to U.S. citizens. The immigration process for Green Card through marriage varies based on whether you intend to marry the U.S. citizen in the U.S. or outside the U.S. Each of these situations will require slightly different planning and procedures.


What Constitutes a Valid Marriage

According to U.S. immigration laws, the validity of a marriage is determined by the law of the place where the marriage was performed, and legal eligibility of both parties to the marriage.

Certain marriages that are valid and recognized in the place where they were performed are ineligible for availing U.S. immigration benefits:

Common Law Marriage

Common law marriages are not considered valid under the U.S. immigration laws unless they are recognized as legal in the jurisdiction of residence or last residence.

Customary Marriage

Marriages performed according to local customs are not valid under the U.S. immigration laws, if they are considered invalid by the law of the place where the marriage was performed.

Polygamous Marriage

Polygamous marriages are not recognized under the U.S. immigration laws even if they were legally contracted in countries where polygamy is accepted.

Incestuous Marriage

Marriages between close family members are not recognized under the U.S. immigration laws even if they were legally contracted in countries where such marriages are accepted.

Proxy Marriage

A proxy marriage is a marriage performed with one or both parties to the marriage not physically present in the ceremony. These are held invalid under U.S. immigration laws unless the marriage was subsequently consummated under the laws of the land.

Top 11 Ways To Get A Green Card

Take the first step towards becoming a U.S. Permanent Resident!


Marriage within the U.S.

If your intended spouse is in the U.S., you may marry and file the USCIS Form I-130 and for adjustment of status at the same time. If your intended spouse is outside the U.S., you may file for a K-1 visa for him/her.
Eligibility for the K-1 Visa
You must remain unmarried until the arrival of your fiancee in the U.S., and the wedding must take place within 90 days of your fiancee's arrival if he/she is to remain in status. You and your foreign fiancee must have met personally at least once in the two years before the petition was filed.
1 2

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Can I Get Married On a Tourist Visa to a US Citizen?
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.