Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

J1 Visa

(International Exchange Visitors)

Applying for the J1 Visa

The first step is to obtain from the sponsoring institution a Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status. Your visa cannot be processed without this form. Your J1 visa application must include the following documents:
DOS Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
All pages of the Form DS-2019. The Form DS-2019 is issued only by the sponsoring organization in the U.S.
Your passport which is valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the U.S. and with at least one blank page
Two identical color photographs showing full face without head covering against a light background. You may wear a headdress if required by a religious order of which you are a member
Evidence demonstrating sufficient funds to cover all expenses including the tuition fee and living expenses. Such evidence may include detailed bank statements of accounts showing that adequate funds are available for transfer, evidence of scholarships and/or combination of finances which will meet the estimated total expenses, including tuition, of your proposed stay in the U.S.
Evidence demonstrating that you have a residence abroad to which you intend to return at the end of your stay in the U.S. This is generally established by evidence of family, professional, property, employment or other ties and commitments to some country other than the U.S. sufficient to cause the applicant to return there at the conclusion of your stay
Your academic qualifications - such evidence may include complete transcripts of grades and test records for the last four years of school and evidence of TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores

Studying In The U.S. - F, M, and J Visa Options

Find out the most suitable visa to study in USA.


Duration of Stay

When you enter the U.S. on an exchange visitor visa, you are admitted for the duration of your program. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) inspector at the port of entry makes the final decision on how long anyone may stay in the U.S.
Note: You may be eligible to change your status in the U.S. and acquire an appropriate work visa such as H-1B or H-2B, on completion of your authorized stay without having to return to your home country.

Working on J1 Visa

Employment while on "J" exchange visitor status depends upon the terms of the program. Participants in programs which provide for on-the-job training, teaching, research, or other activities which involve paid employment may accept such employment. Participants in programs which do not involve work may not accept outside employment.

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
USA Work Visa Options J-1, H-1B Visa, O-1 Visa, TN Visa
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.