Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

F1 Visa

(Academic or Language Students)

Applying for the F1 Visa

The first step is to obtain from the school or academic institution the USCIS Form I-20A-B entitled Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status. Schools and academic institutions, which have received USCIS approval to enroll foreign students under F1 student visa, have the authority to issue these forms.
Note: A F1 student visa cannot be processed without USCIS Form I-20A-B.
Your F1 student visa application must include:
DOS Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application
DOS Form DS-158, Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant
A copy of your passport which is valid for at least six months beyond the period of stay in the U.S. and with at least one blank page
Two identical color photographs showing full face without head covering against a light background. You may wear a headdress if required by a religious order of which you are a member
Financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study
For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, you may include income tax documents and original bank statements. If you or your sponsor owns a business, include business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank statements
Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended
Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE or GMAT
Documents demonstrating your intent to depart from the U.S. upon completion of studies

Studying In The U.S. - F, M, and J Visa Options

Find out the most suitable visa to study in USA.


The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

All new Form I-20A-B and DS-2019 must be created within the SEVIS system.
The purpose of SEVIS is to monitor the visa adjudication process and oversee the academic career of foreign students and their dependants who enter the U.S. using an F1 or F-2 visa.
Under the SEVIS guidelines, the student's proposed U.S. school must submit specific information electronically before a student visa may be issued.
The required information is:
The full name of the student
Date and place of birth of the student
Nationality/Citizenship of the student. The school's code/program number
The school/program name
This information can only be entered by the U.S. schools - students cannot enter the information on their own behalf.

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
F1 OPT to H1B Change of Status: Follow These Simple Steps
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering