Call Us Today: 202-787-1944
Contact Us Today For US Immigration Lawyer

E1 Visa

(Treaty Traders)
The E1 visa for Treaty Traders allows nationals from countries that maintain an appropriate treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S., to enter the U.S. to conduct trade between the U.S. and their home country.


Benefits of the E1 Visa

You can travel freely in and out of the U.S. while on a valid E1 visa
You can stay on a prolonged basis with unlimited two year extensions as long as you maintain valid E1 status
Your dependents can stay with you as long as you maintain your E1 status. They can also attend school
You can apply at an American Consulate abroad or apply for a change of status if you are in the U.S.
Your spouse may seek employment by applying for an
employment authorization document

Working In The U.S. - Your Options

Learn everything you need to know about working in the U.S.


Requirements for the E1 Visa

To qualify for the E1 visa, you must fulfill the following requirements:

You must be a national of a treaty country

You must be a national of a country that maintains a treat of navigation and commerce with the U.S. for E1 visa purposes.
Treaty countries currently include:
Argentina Costa Rica Israel
Australia Croatia Italy
Austria Denmark Japan
Belgium Estonia Jordan
Bolivia Ethiopia Latvia
Bosnia Finland Liberia
Herzegovina France Luxembourg
Brunei Germany Macedonia
Canada Greece Mexico
Chile Honduras Netherlands
China (Taiwan) Iran Norway
Colombia Ireland Oman
Pakistan Paraguay Philippines
Slovenia Spain Suriname
Sweden Switzerland Thailand
Togo Turkey United Kingdom

Trading firm must belong to the treaty country

The trading firm for which you are coming to the U.S. must have the nationality of the treaty country.

The trade must be substantial

The international trade between your home country and the U.S. must be ‘substantial’ in the sense that there is a sizable and continuing volume of trade. More than 50 per cent of the international trade involved must be between the U.S. and your home country.
Note: Trade means the international exchange of goods, services and technology. The item of trade, and title of that item, must pass from one party to the other in exchange for consideration.

You must be employed in supervisory or executive capacity, or possess specialized skills

You must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity, or possess highly specialized skills essential to the efficient operation of the firm. Ordinary skilled or unskilled workers do not qualify
1 2

Yes, I would like to check my
US visa eligibility.
Setting Up a Company in US - Choosing L1 Visa or E Visa
  • "We are extremely pleased with the prompt, quick and courteous services of VisaPro in arranging our L1 visa. The process was handled very efficiently by VisaPro [legal] professionals. VisaPro is cost effective and a company to get the job done without any follow-ups required."

    - Matrix Laboratories Inc.
  • "VisaPro prepared my case accurately and quickly forwarded them to USCIS for further approval. If you prefer peace of mind and on-time services, VisaPro is definitely a good choice."

    - Northwest Contract Services
  • "VisaPro helps take the confusion and frustration out of the visa application process. They explained each step and what was required."

    - Monona Catering

Contact me for
FREE Visa Assessment

I'm not a robot

We value your privacy.